Removing and Preventing Bathroom Mold
The bathroom is the perfect environment for mold growth because it stays wet enough with frequent showers and tubs and is damp and dark. Whether there’s mold under your sink, around the tub, or in the corners of the shower, it is unsightly and can be a bit difficult to get rid of. If it’s just a small spot or, in extreme cases, it is a health hazard, eliminating it entirely is very important.
Using these techniques and some household materials, you can eliminate bathroom mold once and for all.
Causes of the Mold
The lack proper of ventilation leads to lingering moisture which can cause mold. Any leaky toilets, sinks, or pipes can result in mold. Anything that remains damp such as exposed wood, wallpaper, drywall, towels or other fabric can lead to mold.
Find the Mold
If you can see or smell the mold, you know you have a problem; but it’s not always that easy. It’s not always in-your-face-obvious that mold is present. Be sure to check in obvious places and not so obvious places. Check under sinks, corners of showers, shower curtains and doors, under sinks, fixtures, around ventilation fans, and in the spaces under bathrooms. Knowing where the issue is coming from is important in order to stop future infestations from happening again.
Prevent the Mold
Eliminating moisture in your bathroom will help prevent mold and mildew from growing. Using a squeegee on shower walls will get rid of 75% of moisture that aids in the growth of mold. You should also run your bathroom fan when showering or bathing and leave it on for an additional 30 minutes. Timers for ventilation fans are available to make this easier. Using a shower curtain resistant to mold or frequently washing or replacing it will help cut back on the possibility of mold. Add “reapply sealant to grout lines” to your annual list of to-dos to keep them waterproof.
Remove the Mold
If mold is already an issue in your home, it is important to get rid of it! If the problem isn’t too big or out of hand, you can handle it yourself. Rid the space of any caulk, grout or sealant that has mold and properly replacing it. Using products that contain bleach, hydrogen peroxide or vinegar will kill spores and mildew – just be sure you don’t mix these chemicals as toxic reactions may occur.
If your mold problem is larger than 10 square feet, you should use the guidelines provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or allow a professional to handle it.
If the mold has made its way onto walls or ceilings, it is best to call a professional. The issue may be worse than it looks. The mold may have crept into your walls, causing damage to insulation and wood.
If this is the case, walls will need to be torn down and materials replaced. If this is not handled properly, this can release spores into other parts of your home causing an even larger problem.